ICLEI Brussels Office
ICLEI is represented in the capital of the European Union by the ICLEI Brussels Office. By having a presence in Brussels, ICLEI is amidst the most politically powerful institutions in Europe and representations of regional and local governments and thus in an ideal position to network and represent Members where it matters.
The Brussels Office is headed up by Peter Defranceschi. Peter holds degrees in Law, and Human Rights and Democracy in the Mediterranean. He is fluent in English, German, Italian, Spanish, French and Portuguese.
Peter is joined by Project Assistant Francesca Simeone.
For further information on how to contact the ICLEI Brussels Office, click here.
Breakfast at Sustainability's
The Brussels Office is host to Europe’s leading, ongoing sustainability discussions, Breakfast at Sustainability’s (B@S). The small, informal meetings are moderated by representatives of regional and local governments. Topics covered are related to sustainable community developments that are essential to public authorities.
B@S 20 - European Cities and Citizens delivering on the Sustainable Development Goals
2 June 2016
The 20th edition of the Breakfast at Sustainability's (B@S) series will take place on 2 June 2016 in Brussels (Belgium), focusing on what the universal Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) mean for European cities and how can citizens and grassroots initiatives can help to implement them. The session, titled “European Cities and Citizens delivering on the Sustainable Development Goals” will be held in the broader framework of the European Sustainable Development Week.
Despite the stand-alone goal on sustainable cities within the SDGs, urban experts agree that all 17 SDGs are relevant for cities. Initiatives like the recently adopted Basque Declaration suggest cities and citizens have to engage on the ground if the future is to be sustainable.
Following an EU policy overview, discussions will focus on examples of transformative and replicable actions coming from sub-national governments and civil society organisations. The meeting is organised by ICLEI in association with the EESC's Sustainable Development Observatory and the Heinrich Böll Foundation. Registration is open until 30 May.
To register, click here.
Past Breakfast at Sustainability's
- B@S18 David or Goliath: Engaging cities and citizens towards Paris climate change negotiations
- B@S17 Sharing – the new concept for sustainable mobility
- B@S16 Community energy - accelerating sustainable energy roll-out in Europe
- B@S15 How do Warsaw’s climate talks impact on local and regional climate and energy action planning and finance?
- B@S14 Performing better through integrated sustainability management – the RFSC tool
- B@S13 Opportunities and challenges of sustainable timber purchasing
- B@S12 Sustainable construction – procuring innovative solutions in public sector construction projects
- B@S11 Will RIO+20 waves have enough power to revitalise local processes in Europe?
- B@S10 Capitals of Biodiversity – European municipalities lead the way in local biodiversity protection
- B@S9 Smart procurement - reducing costs and saving energy
- B@S8 How to organise sustainable meetings and events in Brussels
- B@S7 Urban sustainable food supply: a win-win strategy
- B@S6 Culture and sustainable energy - today and tomorrow
- B@S5 Innovative climate change adaptation: building with nature
- B@S4 Using water more efficiently – burning issues, current approaches, new alliances at local level
- B@S3 What role for biofuels in sustainable urban mobility?
- B@S2 Financing climate champions – engaging your community in local climate action
- B@S1 The Big Bucks - Cost-effective sustainable public procurement