Climate change mitigation
The climate is changing and people are accelerating this natural phenomenon by burning fossil fuels, wasting energy and other valuable resources. It is time to react - quickly and effectively - to mitigate the human impact on climate change by drastically reducing greenhouse gas emissions, such as carbon dioxide (CO2) and methane (CH4). We need local climate action right now.
Cities and towns are busy integrating climate protection into all walks of life and in all sectors, providing direction and engaging their citizens - moving forward together towards a low carbon society.
Effective approaches – from advocacy to action
ICLEI Europe is proud to be a Supporter of the Covenant of Mayors engaging in its capacity as a European network of local governments and associations.
Current highlights include:
- Starting with your Action Plan? Get support through Covenant capaCITY - a training platform for local leaders and municipal staff.
- Great resources for Local Governments in the Toolbox of Methodologies on Climate and Energy - use, add and rate resources.
- ENERGY FOR MAYORS - supporting municipalities and their partners: Covenant Coordinators and Supporters.
- 3ENCULT - energy efficient renovation of historic buildings. Join study tours and workshops, read a great newsletter!
- Renewable Energy Regions – towards 100 percent energy autonomy.
- Local Renewables Conference series - 2012 focuses on smart grids and smart energy solutions!
- CHAMP - local responses to climate change.
- Focus on sustainable mobility and transport:
- Sustainable Urban Mobility - CIVITAS Initiative.
Concluded projects with great results:
- LG Action - climate and energy mobilisation, information and advocacy.
- Sustainable NOW – your web portal for sustainable energy communities.
- Local Accountability for Kyoto Goals (LAKs) - conducting greenhouse gas inventories and developing action plans
- SMART SPP – using procurement to trigger innovation
- Supporting Burgenland with its regional sustainable development plan in Regions for Sustainable Change (RSC)
- MAKE-IT-BE – integrated bio-energy planning guidance
- Sustainable energy solutions in advanced cities in the CONCERTO project, SESAC
ICLEI's European members are engaged in climate protection. Many cities have been leading the way for decades, working with ICLEI to build a knowledge base and share experiences. Others are just starting up. In the north, south, east, and west of Europe, local communities are engaging - from Burgas (Bulgaria) to Berlin (Germany), from Stockholm (Sweden) to Rome (Italy). These cities and many others are sharing news through ICLEI’s CCP Campaign. Check our news page for updates on these activities.
Our world, our future
Connect with the communities involved in climate protection and improving their community resilience. Sign up to our European climate and energy mailing list, and join our CCP Campaign today – let’s move forward together.
For an overview of climate and energy events relevant to local governments, please visit the LG Action events calendar.